“Zen-Relaxed and not worrying about things that you cannot change.” – Cambridge Dictionary
Distance learning has transformed the routines and lives of all stakeholders- students, families, and educators. How do we reduce the stress and find some peace and balance? I recently presented for the Minnesota Distance Learning Summit, Teacher Zen During Distance Learning. Below is a video recording of the presentation along with slides, tips, and copyable free resources to help you find some zen. Check out more amazing presentations from the summit here!
💡Discover more ways to design engaging distance learning experiences by taking my new accredited graduate course, Online Learning: Best Practices to Leverage the Power of Distance Learning.
Tips and Resources
- Focus on the victories
- Positive self-talk
- Cultivate relationships
- Student virtual check-ins Teacherrebootcamp.com/virtualcheckins
- ✋🏾 Five Finger Student Check-in- 5 🤩- I feel fantastic and excited about learning 4 😃- I feel happy and ready to learn 3 🙂- I feel okay and open to learning 2 🙁- I feel unfocused or tired 1 🤢- I feel bad and don’t want to be here
- Presentation By Benjamin Friesen, @benjaminfriesen
- Make wellness and well-being a priority- ✔ Create your Zen ✔ Be active ✔ Take breaks ✔ Get some fresh air ✔ Model well-being for your students
- Self-regulation coping strategies students can use at school poster
- Establish routines and schedules
- Feel free to copy and edit this one
- Tip! Edit your notiﬁcations
- Be ﬂexible
- It takes a village to raise a child- ✔ Co-teach and collaborate ✔ Guest speakers ✔ Mystery classroom visits ✔ Let family members volunteer ✔ Invite parents ✔ Let the students teach
- Zen Design- ✔ K.I.SS Keep it short and simple ✔ Less is more ✔ Give meaningful choices ✔ Make it visually engaging ✔ Create clear and concise instructions ✔ Provide visual guides and tutorials
- Take, remix, copy and share!
- Lesson Plans, Units, and Student Choice Menus to copy and edit as you wish! Click this Wakelet to get copies
- Menu Choice Board by @ABfromZ
- Tic-Tac-Toe Choice Menu by ShakeUpLearning
- Change your environment
- Have fun and be bold!
Schools worldwide are in need of educators who can engage students of all ages in an online platform and facilitate students’ learning success virtually. In the course, Online Learning: Best Practices to Leverage the Power of Distance Learning, participants discover hands-on how to continue the learning process at a distance even during inclement weather, a health crisis or other safety issue. Additionally, participants will create distance learning products and receive feedback from their peers and the instructor, a global leader in online learning, Shelly Sanchez Terrell (@ShellTerrell). For more information about this class, click here.
💡Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning or The 30 Goals Challenge or take a fully accredited online course for graduate credit (Online Learning Best Practices, Connected Educators or TESOL Methodologies)!