Part of the December 2019 STEM Resources Digital Calendar!
As soon as students enter the classroom they can be engaged in learning. At my school we call these “to dos.” I have often heard these called bell ringers, warm ups, starters, and entrance tickets. The idea is to have a short 5 minute or less activity like a prompt that students are able to complete while you take care of attendance or get situated from the previous class. Bell ringers and warm ups also help tap into students’ prior learning. These to dos should be something every student knows and can easily complete. The bell ringer does not have to be related to your content but it can be. The bell ringer should also be located in the same place so the students follow a routine. Students walk in, look at the board/virtual learning environment, complete the bell ringer and know where to turn this in.
💡Discover more ways to integrate technology effectively by taking one of my fully accredited online courses or get one of my books!
40 Bell Ringers
Below are 40 different ways to engage students. Read my article, Engage Learners with Bell-Ringers, for more details and resources. With ideas, such as a quote, TED Talk, joke, or poem you can do the following:
- Turn and Talk– Students turn to each other and discuss 2 or 3 items or questions listed on the board.
- Students write down a response in a journal
- Students relate to a real world experience or event
- Students compare 2 of the same item or complete a Venn Diagram
- Students try to create a quick example or write down a favorite example, such as a favorite knock knock joke or acrostic poem
- Students annotate the item, such as underline the title, circle the author’s name, etc.
- Students write down 1 idea about the item and make up 2 questions to ask peers about the item or individual introduced
To thank you for your sharing, friendship and support over the years I am sharing free tips, learning resources, web tools and apps for 25 days in my Digital December STEM Advent Calendar. Just click on the calendar below and a post will appear for that day. NOTE! The post will not appear until that day. If you enjoy these resources, then take one of my fully accredited continuing education and graduate online courses or check out my latest book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies with EdTech Missions!