For over two decades I’ve taught English language learners from the ages of 2 to 90 in over 20 countries. I’ve seen how technology motivates learners of all ages to find their voice, connect with language learners around the world, and have access to knowledge and resources in multiple languages. I’ve taught in really poor areas where sometimes the electricity didn’t work. I’ve also taught refugees who came to class in the same clothes everyday. In all cases technology helped them improve their language skills, because it offered them ways to practice English outside the classroom in ways that engaged them. Not all students have access to the best technology, but the majority can and will find ways to use technology and connect with others on the Internet. Poor students often carry around cheap cell phones or access the Internet through a library or Internet cafe. As technology becomes more accessible we need to continue to find meaningful ways for our language learners to use it. The following posts are filled with ideas, tons of resources, and recommended free web tools and apps to get you started. They are my posts from ESL Library and Sprout English where I blog regularly. I also invite you to join my Free Friday Webinars with American TESOL at 4pmET/9pmUTC. In case you can’t make that time, you can always access over 100 of the past webinar recordings here. I am also the Social Media Manager for American TESOL and I regularly share resources on our Twitter accounts, @TESOL, @AmericanTESOL, and @ESLWebinars.
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go.
Ask me about training your ESL teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com! I’ve trained teachers in over 20 countries and consulted with ministries of education on their ESL programs and polices. You can also request my services as an ESL Specialist for the US Embassy.
ESL and Technology Posts
- Inspire Meaningful Writing Practice through Digital Scrapbooking
- How to Spark Dynamic Discussions Outside the Classroom! 10 Web Tools & Apps
- Critical Reading with Digital Devices! 18 Resources & Web Tools
- 9 Ways to Use Snapchat to Teach Language Learners
- Let’s Learn Each Other’s Names
- Let’s Learn the Alphabet Digitally! 15 Fun Websites & Apps
- Top Tips for Presenting at ELT Conferences
- Get Students to Visualize Research in a Digital Poster
- Extra! Extra! 16 Web Tools & Apps for Kids to Learn with the News
- Play and Learn! Game-Based Language Learning for Kids
- Film It! Tips for Getting Children to Be Directors
- Ways Learners Can Improve Their English with Technology
Check out my Digital Click and Learn December Calendar with more posts like these full of resources to celebrate the holidays digitally!