“We need technology in every classroom and in every student and teacher’s hand, because it is the pen and paper of our time, and it is the lens through which we experience much of our world.” – David Warlick
Creating a video of one’s screen (screencasting) is a powerful way to demonstrate knowledge. Our students can create how-to videos to teach others how to use favorite web tools or to demonstrate a process. Students can use screencasting tools with whiteboards to show how to complete an equation, to create visual word problems, or explain a theory. Teaching others is one of the most powerful ways to learn and the first mission in my new book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies: 10 Ways to Launch EdTech Missions. What follows are a list of free web tools and apps to record a desktop, mobile screen, or whiteboard.
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
Screencasting Web Tools and Apps
- Screencastify is a Chrome extension that records your desktop and screen. The free version records up to 10 minutes and is quick and easy to use.
- Screencast-o-matic is a web tool to screencast up to 15 minutes and publish to Youtube.
- Nimbus is another extension to screencast, but is better for screenshots and creating visual how-to guides.
- Screencast with your iPhone. Check out this awesome graphic by Tony Vincent to learn more!
- Lensoo Create is an iPad and Android app to record what happens on a tablet’s whiteboard.
- Explain Everything is my favorite iPad app for recording what happens on a whiteboard. You can add pdfs, images, drawings, shapes, colors, and more! You have so many possibilities from digital storytelling to flipping the classroom to creating how-to videos.
- Other iPad apps similar to Explain Everything are Educreations (web version), Screen Chomp, and ShowMe.
- Jing is another tool to capture your screen. You need to download it.
Check out my Digital Click and Learn December Calendar with more posts like these full of resources to celebrate the holidays digitally!