“Identity will be the most valuable commodity for citizens in the future, and it will exist primarily online.” – Eric Schmidt
One of the first steps for participating in any social network or online community is creating a digital image of ourselves, an avatar. We often have several avatars across many social networks. Some look like us and others are symbols or graphical representations of us. It is important we get our students to create digital avatars and reflect on their digital identities. I discuss this in my new book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies: 10 Ways to Launch EdTech Missions. Below, are free web tools and apps students can use to create avatars. Find activities and tips in this post for Sprout English.
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
- Voki is a web tool and app for students to create animated talking characters to embed in blogs and animated presentations.
- With Gabsee (iOS) students create a 3D avatar that resembles them then project the avatar anywhere with augmented reality to create adventure videos.
- With Tellagami (iOS), students create a video with a customized character. Students can change the character’s mood, design an outfit, then record their voice or add dialogue.
- Buddy Poke 3D (Android/iOS) allows students to create animated 3D avatars that look like them. They create an animated movie starring the avatar along with a peer’s avatar.
- Students create characters on Plotagon (web/iOS/Android) and they star in an animated movie. Students pick a scene, add dialogue, determine the emotions, and add sound effects and music.
- BitMoji is one of the most popular apps for creating cartoon like avatars/emojis of yourself. Your avatar is placed with several stickers and sayings so you can express yourself through text messages or on social networks.
- Doppel Me is a web tool to create a cool graphical likeness of yourself.
- Cuteki is a web tool where students select the costume/character to go with their style and personality. They can create holiday themed avatars.
- Build Your Wild Self is a web tool to create a human like avatar with different animal parts.
- Mini-Mizer is a web tool children use to create an avatar that resembles a Lego character.
Check out my Digital Click and Learn December Calendar with more posts like these full of resources to celebrate the holidays digitally!