“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” – Mother Teresa
More than ever we need our learners to be global citizens who help make the world a better place. This is why one of the learning missions in my new book, Hacking Digital Learning Strategies: 10 Ways to Launch EdTech Missions in Your Classroom is to get students to take part in an intercultural exchange. Global exchanges expose learners to different cultures, perspectives, and ways of life. These differences will challenge students’ ideals and beliefs and help them extend their learning beyond borders. As the communication and intercultural exchanges continue, students will find common interests, shared experiences, and core values to form bonds. Below, find a slide presentation and resources to connect with classes worldwide and begin your intercultural exchange.
Get your copy of Hacking Digital Learning, The 30 Goals Challenge, or Learning to Go. Ask me about training your teachers, ShellyTerrell@gmail.com!
- Teach global citizenship!
- Participate in intercultural exchanges and global projects. Find classes to connect with on Epals, Skolinks, PenPalSchools, and eTwinning.net.
- Learn about global class projects and connect with teachers at the free online Global Education Conference.
- Connect with teachers and discover more resources with these hashtags- #GlobalEd, #GlobalClassroom, #ELTChat, #Langchat, and #ISTEGlobalPLN.
- Skype, Hangout, or use Appear.in to video conference with classes worldwide!
- Try Mystery Skypes or Mystery Hangouts. Find student jobs for these here.
- Quadblogging is a way to blog with classes worldwide.
- The Global Classroom Project has several resources and ideas for global projects.
- The following are free web tools to help you schedule your planning sessions and meetings:
- Doodle (Web/iOS/Android)- Create polls with suggested meeting times and dates and invite participants to select their preferences. Participants don’t need the app or an account to select their preferences. Syncs with your calendar.
- Time and Date (Web/iOS/Android)- Several tools to schedule meetings, such as a World Clock with the current time in each country, online calendars for countries worldwide, a meeting planner, a countdown clock, and more.
- World Time Buddy (Web/iOS/Android)- Visual world clock, easy time zone converter and meeting scheduler.
Challenge: Get learners to participate in an intercultural exchange.