Goal 27 of The 30 Goals Challenge 2011
“In the Web 2.0 world, self-directed learners must be adept at building and sustaining networks.” ~ Will Richardson
Short-term- Check your online profile on one of the search engines listed below and study this in retrospect to another educator’s online profile. Study someone who has a well established online profile such as Angela Maiers, Silvia Tolisano, Dr. Alec Couros, Will Richardson, David Warlick, or others. You can even check my profile. What did you observe about their digital footprints? What are key words and messages associated with them? What message and key words do you want to be associated with you and how will you get there?
Long-term- Continue to build and monitor your web presence.
How to Establish a Web Presence
1st: Check your digital footprint
2nd: Create an online profile
- LinkedIn- A free website to post professional profiles that also works as a social network for professionals.
- Google Profiles- One of the most common free websites to post an online profile that integrates with other Google applications.
- Flavors.me- Create a free online profile page that looks extremely professional and offers many templates.
- About.me- Similar to Flavors.me. Create a free online professional profile page.
- Visualcv.com- This free service offers a more detailed online profile that works as a web portfolio, resume, or CV.
3rd: Maintain Your Web Presence
- Participate in web projects, online communities, e-conferences
- Post a digital copy of all/part of your presentations online/offline on Slideshare, your blog, or on a wiki!
- Monitor your web presence with Google Alerts!
- Join Twitter and Facebook if you haven’t and post education related materials or join teacher communities
- These are 2 of the most popular social networks and will tend to show up first when doing searches about yourself
- Footprints in the Digital Age by Will Richardson
- Using Social Media for Transformative Teaching & Learning by Dr. Alec Couros
- Digital Footprint- Your Online Data Trail by Silvia Tolisano (Langwitches)
**NOTE: This is just an idea of how to get started and definitely doesn’t cover each aspect! Maybe someday I’ll write a book about it?!
**NOTE: Due to traveling, I am behind on posting the podcasts. I will try to get the podcasts up soon!
Establish a web presence!
Did you reflect on this goal? Please leave a comment that you accomplished this goal by either posting your own video reflection on Youtube, using the hashtag #30Goals, posting on the 30 Goals Facebook group, adding a post to the 43 Things web/mobile app, or adding a comment below! Feel free to subscribe to The 30 Goals podcast!
Keep an eye out for the book, The 30 Goals Challenge for Educators, that will be published by Eye on Education in the Fall of 2011!
Podcast is coming soon!