30 Goals

Goal 6: Invite Them In #30Goals

Goal 6 of The 30 Goals Challenge 2011

Short-term- Brainstorm ways to invite a teacher, parent, or administrator to see the learning taking place in your classroom. You can do this by publishing your students’ work online on a wiki, blog, or school website. You can Ustream a lesson. You can create a video with the kids and have a movie night where you invite the staff and parents to watch the class videos while eating snacks!

Long-term- In what ways can you be more transparent? How can you make your instruction transparent to others at least once a week? Do you currently publish students’ work online or have your lesson plans available for the parents to see what is happening in the classroom?

“There is no persuasiveness more effectual than the transparency of a single heart, of a sincere life.”

by Joseph Barber Lightfoot

Evelyn Azbell, who writes for the Parent Educator Connection Blog, will be listing the blogs of those completing the challenges. You can find her on Twitter, @CESA9_12WSPEI.

If you fill out this Google Form I can get Evelyn a list of the blogs and I will also be able to get your Twitter handle to create a list of participants! :-)

This week, invite a teacher, parent, or administrator to see the learning taking place in your classroom.

Did you reflect on this goal? Please leave a comment that you accomplished this goal by either posting your own video reflection on Youtube, using the hashtag #30Goals, posting on the 30 Goals Facebook group, adding a post to the 43 Things web/mobile app, or adding a comment below! Feel free to subscribe to The 30 Goals podcast!

Keep an eye out for the book, The 30 Goals Challenge for Educators, that will be published by Eye on Education in the Fall of 2011!

Background music is Sentiment d ‘amour (Feeling Love) by Syenta from CC Mixter

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Goal 6: Invite Them In #30Goals | Teacher Reboot Camp -- Topsy.com

• February 7, 2011 - 20:01 | Permalink

This is one of my favorites! I really like to invite people in to see what students are up to. This includes visiting us in the lab as well as checking out our online presence here and there. I look forward to seeing the suggestions and reflections from others to get more ideas on continuing this practice!

• February 7, 2011 - 20:03 | Permalink

Thanks for the interesting goal. While I’m not an educator in the classroom, I do work to educate students via an online technology. I’m working to think about how I can increase the transparency of what I do while still protecting user privacy, which is of the utmost importance.

While I think we do a good job of telling students what they can and can’t do on our site, I think we can always improve our processes….I’m brainstorming ways to make it better….

• February 8, 2011 - 12:22 | Permalink

That’s what I struggle with as well, protecting the student’s privacy while getting as much out there as possible!

There must be some PLN members who are “experts”, or at least very experienced at this. It would be great to get a collection of ideas together on how to invite in without compromising privacy.

• Pingback: Goal 6 – “Inviting Them In” – but not through the window! | Visualising Ideas

• February 8, 2011 - 12:59 | Permalink

totally agree with this transparency issue – and want to link it to QC and marketing. From this month we are inviting all our students/parents to join their class on Edmodo. Here we share screen shots of board work, audio, video shorts, homework assignments, links, project collaboration, attendance, calendar, +101 other super useful things added on to weekly class reports.

We work so hard to make great classes happen, but the magic quickly washes off afterwards. Long thought we need to educate parents & show ourselves off much better. With Edmodo we can do this week in, week out.

And transparent is the key word. Or is it trainparent?

Keep up the awesome work ST.

• Pingback: Washing the Windows

• February 9, 2011 - 17:09 | Permalink

Great article, Shelly. I commented on it on my own blog:

All the best

• February 9, 2011 - 21:11 | Permalink

Hi Shell and everybody,
    Have been a bit busy lately but managed to reflect on this one. Here is my contribution: http://sabridv.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/welcome-in-wikis-vs-blogs/

• February 10, 2011 - 13:56 | Permalink

I’m working on this goal right now with the school I used to teach at. How are we becoming more transparent for the parent/school relationship: encouraging students to use Twitter throughout the day to reflect on learning so that parents get an inside view of what happens in the classroom every day. We are syncing those tweets to FaceBook as well!

• Pingback: Challenge yourself with 30 goals for education