Cool Sites Tech Tips What Works for English Language Learners

Learning Beyond Walls: 21 Skype Resources

Part of the Cool Sites series

Skyping with Emma
Image courtesy of @teflpet.

In the picture above you can see a great friend of mine, Emma Herrod, and her son who have video-conferenced with my classes and workshops. When the teachers in my last workshop interviewed Emma via Skype about our interaction through Skype they were excited about technology. Most of the teachers had been reluctant towards technology but Skype is one of those fantastic free tools that gets teachers new to technology motivated to try the technology. For this reason, I love to show teachers and administrators Skype. Skype is one of the top tools I introduce to teachers, administrators, and my students. This tool has tremendous learning potential, is free, easy to use, and has incredible buy-in.

I have been fortunate to have people in my Skype network who will Skype with me at the spur of the moment or make themselves available for my various classes in Germany. This year I have been fortunate to Skype in the following ways:

• Emma and her son Skyped my class of 5 year-olds. Her son taught my young language learners how to make an origami box.
  • Emma also Skyped my adult learners to answer their questions about the UK elections and to teach them British idioms.
  • Steven Anderson has Skyped my administrators, teachers I’ve trained, and adult classes. Topics usually include what makes a great Skype lesson and the ideas for integrating Skype in schools.
  • Matthew Farber‘s sixth grade class Skyped my adult class and answered questions about the differences between Germany and the US.
  • Candace Townsley‘s sixth grade class Skyped middle school students, my director, and toddlers about the Wild West.
  • I have Skyped with several educators to train them online or their staff. Please feel free to ask me to Skype with your staff! I love doing this!

In the process of training teachers to integrate Skype effectively with their classes and using Skype to get my German students to interact with students worldwide, I have found several incredible resources. Feel free to share these resources with other teachers. Consider showing Skype to teachers taking the first steps with technology and who may be very reluctant to try integrating technology in their classrooms.

Skype in Education

Technology 4 Kids Wiki: Skype Resources
Using Skype at School (The Dummies Series)
Skype in School Wiki

15 Apps for Recording Skype
Using PowerGramo

More Resources

Improving Skype Calls by Sue Wyatt
How to Produce Video Interviews for Your Blog With Skype
Using VuRoom to Hold A Skype Conference
Make group video calls with up to 10 people with the new beta version of Skype for Windows

Langwitches Presentation: Around the World with Skype

One of the best Skype webinars I have seen! Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano’s Presentation, Around the World with Skype!

Try any of these resources and blog about your experience. Blogging helps you reflect and decide how you can apply this learning to improve your instructional methods.

What are your ideas for integrating Skype into the classroom?

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Learning Beyond Walls: 21 Skype Resources | Teacher Reboot Camp --

• August 22, 2010 - 18:33 | Permalink

Thanks for posting these great Skype resources, Shelly! I love using Skype to connect with other elementary Spanish teachers and share ideas for our teaching settings. I’m trying to push my parents and relatives to use it so that we may “see” each other.

In terms of the my Spanish classroom, I have used Skype to connect my students with native Spanish speakers. We love to exchange information about our daily lives and things we like. I feel that this communication is crucial if my students are to develop into global citizens. My goal this year is continue these discussions with our abroad contacts but to also find other Spanish classes in the United States to practice language skills and engage in sing- alongs and story retellings. I feel that interaction with other Spanish learners is also important.

• August 22, 2010 - 23:02 | Permalink

Thanks a lot for the resources. I have been using Skype for online teaching but wasn’t aware of so many resources for it. Thanks for sharing!

• Pingback: Learning Beyond Walls: 21 Skype Resources | Teacher Reboot Camp — News Tweets Gone Viral

• culya
    August 23, 2010 - 14:57 | Permalink

Thank you Shelly for your endless ideas. You’re so encouraging and you make everything easy for other teachers to use. I hope I’ll use these ideas this year in my classes.

• August 24, 2010 - 21:21 | Permalink

Thanks for the mention! :) Can’t wait to use Skype again this year with your students!

• August 25, 2010 - 16:56 | Permalink

Skype is one of those tools that still floors me. Sometimes it is still hard to believe that we can communicate with video for free using the Internet. It is like we have entered the future! Students who have access to Skype have access to the experts of the world. So neat!

• Pingback: links for 2010-08-30 | Gamer/Learner

• September 1, 2010 - 10:47 | Permalink

Shelly…this is awesome!I don’t know how I missed this wonderful post! Will be sharing it with my local teachers and newbies. This is a not to missed post and resource. You are amazing, my friend. :)

• sbehmer
    September 1, 2010 - 16:45 | Permalink

I have come across some of these, but what a great list you have compiled! Thank you so much! Skype is a great tool that can may are big world seem so much smaller :) I too, will be sharing your resources!

• Pingback: Edublogs Weekly Review: Connect with classrooms and experts around the world with Skype | Edublogs - teacher and student blogs

• September 8, 2010 - 00:39 | Permalink

Thanks for the mention, Shelly, but you have me linked twice under more resources.Haven’t done any skyping yet this year, but perhaps during the blogging challenge … well maybe.

• Pingback: Ed Tech Crew » Ed Tech Crew 135 – I found it on the Web!

• Pingback: What You May Have Missed in August… | Teacher Reboot Camp

• September 14, 2010 - 17:02 | Permalink

I’m interested in setting up some home or abroad collaborations with an initiative I have had in mind for a long time. I want students to collaborate on the building of a Martian base colony. It could be a Lunar base station or even a large orbiting Space Station. I would like to talk about this as a possibility if anyone out there is interested.

• Emma Herrod
    September 18, 2010 - 13:22 | Permalink

Hey Shelly

Thank you for posting about our Skype calls. Thomas and I really did enjoy it. It’s good for him too – he’s becoming familiar with the technology and talking to people from other cultures. It struck me that as he’s just started school, maybe his teacher would be interested in a class Skype or something similar. I can ask her if it’s something you would be interested in.

Thank you for all you do. You give so much and I for one appreciate it very much – I know I’m not alone in my appreciation.

Emma x

• Jennifer W
    September 20, 2010 - 18:06 | Permalink

I asked teachers how they are using skype in the classroom — here are their 108 responses:

• October 5, 2010 - 15:56 | Permalink

Hi Jennifer!

Thank you so much for sharing this valuable resource! Skype is such a great tool to tear down those classroom walls and help children become global citizens!

• Pingback: Conexão TE » Blog Archive » School of Everything – organize sua educação como bem entender

• Pingback: Learning Beyond Walls: 28 Resources for Your Students to Connect Globally | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: School of Everything – organize sua educação como bem entender « Enio de Aragon

• Pingback: Social Sharing – August 24th : Catepol 3.0

• Pingback: The Advantages of Social Networking « Edtech541

• Pingback: Using Skype for ELT Lessons: Interview with Marisa Pavan | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: Love Connection | Linda Gaudreau