30 Goals

Goal: Pass the Baton

Part of the 30 Goals 2010 Challenge Series

As educators we tend to be very giving people and volunteer our time to help others. In this way, education is a significant profession. I am fortunate to have been involved in many incredible projects. Along the way, I realized that some of these projects either no longer exist or lack the profound impact they once made. Funding is a problem. Another problem is when the leader leaves and no one else takes the reigns. I have been that leader, the one who failed to pass the baton.

This year I aim to pass the baton. How is this accomplished?

• Mentoring
  • Creating a plan
  • Creating leadership positions shared by many
  • Having appropriate measures in place
  • Establishing a vision

The Challenge Continues

My long-term goal is to ensure this project is continued. Many have been so incredibly wonderful in sharing this with their teachers and students. Thank you for this. To make this process easier I have created this free e-book that has all the goals listed in order. You can share this with your school, other teachers, your students, and administrators. Next week, I will ask you to help me collaborate on a better e-book. I would like to create a collaborative e-book with images, videos, student examples, blog posts, and comments that fit under each category. I want to be able to take this to the several conferences I am presenting at this year and share this with teachers and their students. I would like you to be able to share it as well on your blogs or at teacher trainings. I want this to be by a collaborative group of authors. I hope you will join me in this project. I will provide more details and a Google document where you can easily list the link to what you would like to contribute.

Click to view the full digital publication online
Read The 30 Goals Challenge: Join the Movement
Publishing Software from Yudu

The Challenges

Congratulations on endearing this journey with me. Here is a list of all the goals we have accomplished together. Continue, with your long-term goals now that you are goal-oriented. I feel so fortunate to have had you join me in this process and hope we will continue this community of support.

1. Keep a Diary
  2. Contribute to a Blog Carnival
  3. Start an Adventure
  4. Support a New Blogger
  5. Update Your Online Profiles
  6. Set a Google Alert
  7. Step Out of Your Comfort Zone
  8. What’s Your Personal Theme Song?
  9. Be a Guest Blogger
  20. Seek Feedback
  21. Have a Bit of Fun
  22. 12 Resources for Giving Constructive Feedback
  23. Where There’s a Will
  24. Conquer a Fear
  25. Plant a Seed
  26. What Are You Putting Off?
  27. Reflection vs. Reaction
  28. Capture the Moment
  29. Stay Focused
  30. Pass the Baton

Challenge:

Reflect on what you would like to ensure continues and come up with a plan to achieve this.

You may want to subscribe for FREE to receive regular updates!

If you’d like to begin the challenge, please download the free e-book here!

Don’t forget to leave a comment that you accomplished this goal using the hashtag #30Goals!

How do we ensure we pass the baton?

• February 1, 2010 - 10:25 | Permalink

Fabulous ending to a great series. Although, I guess, it’s really just another beginning, isn’t it? I love the way you’ve collected the challenges in an e-book, and I’m sure the project will grow with collaboration.

Well done, Shelly!

• February 1, 2010 - 10:45 | Permalink

Great idea to put this all in an eBook. You always continue to inspire me which I think is one of the most important tools of an educator!!!

• February 1, 2010 - 12:14 | Permalink

To echo Barbara and David,

Great end to the series and am very much looking forward to hearing how the collaborative ebook goes – as I’ll be putting one together in Spring (on blogging) and another in the summer on using Ning with English language learners!

Take care,
    Karenne

• marsid
    February 1, 2010 - 14:06 | Permalink

Thank you so much for your #30Goals challenge this year Shelly! It has inspired and motivated me to become a better blogger…and a better teacher.

Let me know if you need any help with your ebook. I think it’s defnitely a fabulous idea!
    Marti

• February 1, 2010 - 14:48 | Permalink

Shelly, I have really enjoyed this series. What an excellent way to end it…by beginning it again and sharing the goals and passions with others. Thank you for enabling us to keep this going with the ebook. Awesome!

• Pingback: Lead by Example | The Techno Tiger

• February 2, 2010 - 03:39 | Permalink

Great series, Shelly. Thank you for linking all of your challenges up here and in the ebook, to let people like me who didn’t manage to come every day catch up in a quiet session.

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Goal: Pass the Baton | Teacher Reboot Camp -- Topsy.com

• ozge
    February 4, 2010 - 13:48 | Permalink

Shelly, 30goals has been the best series I’ve followed and read so far!! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with us!Certainly, you light the way for all of us to become better teachers both online and offline!

• Pingback: January in Review | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Marisa Pavan
    February 11, 2010 - 16:04 | Permalink

Hi Shelly!

Thanks, once more, for your generosity and for helping us, educators, to grow so as to improve our teaching practice.
    This book is the golden brooch, as we say in Spanish, of this great project you’ve been leading.
    Regards,
    Marisa

• Pingback: What Does Your Hashtag Use Say About You? 16 Resources | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: How Do We Nurture Passion? | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: How Will You Develop Professionally this Summer? 35 Resources | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: links for 2010-05-23 « t4toa.us

• Pingback: Passing On the Baton in the Name of Reform by Tom King #30Goals | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: So The Journey Begins: 30 Goals Challenge for Educators #30Goals | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: Seek your voice & passion with The 30 Goals Challenge! « Teaching with Soul

• Pingback: Shelly Terrell « The Reform Symposium

• Pingback: Thank a Teacher Thursday #3 | Masters Teaching | MAT @ USC

• Pingback: Horror-fied! 20+ Ideas & Resources for Halloween « Esl « ESL

• Pingback: Flashcard Fun! 10+ Ideas & Resources « Esl « ESL

• Pingback: Me Manifesto | Aspiring to Higher Tech

• Pingback: TeachThoughtA New Kind Of Professional Development For Teachers: The 30 Goals Challenge

• Pingback: Seek your voice & passion with The 30 Goals Challenge! » Teaching With Soul