Thought-provoking

Importance of Community

You are part of my community! Everyday, I am blessed that you:

share with me, tweet with me, read these thoughts, collaborate with me on projects….

support and inspire me!

Some of you are up for the 2009 Edublog Awards.

Congratulations!

Several of us participate in various communities, because we love to share and learn. We do this without pay and make sacrifices of time, sleep, and more. Recognition goes a long way and I am excited, but not surprised, to see many educators nominated who add to my daily growth!

One of these educators is Ana Maria Menezes, @anamariacult, of the Life Feast blog. She is an innovator in training teachers to use Web 2.0 tools effectively for student learning.

Ana Maria is one of the first people I followed on Twitter and the tools she shared always amazed me. Her tweets made me love Twitter! Ana Maria has shared on her blog recently that she has cancer. She is asking for our support by leaving comments on her youtube video. The video is in Portuguese but this is the purpose as she has written on her blog:

“In Brazil , the drug Taxotere is only indicated to metastatic patients although research has proved node-negative patients could also benefit from that. I don’t think I and other node-negative patients have to wait until a recurrence happens to have the right to the drug, am I wrong? After receiving the denial to the drug, I recorded a video (in Portuguese) so that other people would know what’s happening and we have been in contact with lawyers to see what we can do. Now, the lawyers are fighting for us.”

Ana Maria has been nominated in these Edublog Award categories:

Thank you for supporting educators everywhere and most importantly for participating in this vast, but close knit educator community.

*Note: I have updated this post.

Challenge:
Leave a comment for Ana Maria Meneze’s youtube video.

• December 11, 2009 - 03:58 | Permalink

Brilliant, Shelly – this web 2.0 is an amazing thing when used for the right purposes.

And more often than not, it is actually people like you and Ana who work so diligently for so many hours to spread information and share.

As a community, we CAN collaborate and make change.

Thanks again,
    Karenne

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Importance of Community | Teacher Reboot Camp -- Topsy.com

• December 11, 2009 - 04:25 | Permalink

Karenne,

I learned to be a community member mostly from you! You are very giving and often do so much even behind the scenes stuff that support community versus for yourself. I appreciate all the hard work you do for the community.

• December 11, 2009 - 07:20 | Permalink

Dear Shelly and Karenne,

Like I said in my last post, blogging has made my life so much richer and one of the reasons is getting to meet such wonderful people as you two, who enjoy sharing their knowledge w/ others.

I thank Shelly for supporting my fight. I truly hope my fight can benefit many other people.

Shelly, congratulations on your many nominations! You now have a collection of badges ! :) You deserve it.

• December 11, 2009 - 10:52 | Permalink

Ana Maria,

Karenne says it perfectly so I’ll just say thank you and that new bloggers are able to make it because bloggers like you give an incredible example to follow.

• December 11, 2009 - 07:24 | Permalink

Ana,

It’s an honor. Thank you for standing up, thank you for being a blogger for working in our community to build it with our shared knowledge but most of all, thank you for sharing the story of your illness with us so that we get the chance to help you to fight.

Karenne

• Marisa Pavan
    December 16, 2009 - 07:35 | Permalink

Dear Ana,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your feelings.
    I’m sure your fight will benefit others whose rights are not respected.
    Regards,