At the Education Forefront: Vote!

What is the 140 Character Conference?

You have the chance to bring education to the forefront. Parentella, a free service for teachers and parents, is sponsoring a Twitter and Education panel at the 140 Character Conference in LA! Edchat creators Tom Whitby, Steven Anderson, and I (ShellTerrell) will be part of the panel as well as Aparna Vashisht and Eric Sheninger. Aparna, a passionate parent, wrote the proposal for the panel and Jeff Pulver, the producer of the the 140 Character Conference, accepted her proposal!

What does this mean?

Educators have been invited to one of the biggest Twitter conferences in the world! We are fortunate to have a voice among celebrity speakers, such as Alyssa Milano and Billy Bush!

We want to make an impact so that educators are included in future conferences. Educators do make a difference using Twitter as tool! Therefore, we need your help! One of the Edchat creators, Steven Anderson (@web20classroom), has been nominated for a 140 Character Conference NOW award! If he wins, this means that he will be presented the award at the conference. This type of attention would help get more people to attend the panel discussion and see how educators are making a difference on Twitter.

Are you tired of administrators, parents, friends, family, colleagues, and fellow educators discounting your Twitter experience? I am! I am tired of people thinking that Twitter is only an update tool, because it is one of the best places to develop a Personal Learning Network (PLN) and helps build a support for teachers who want to create change in their schools.

Watch the video below to see how easy and fast it is to vote for Steven Anderson (@web20classroom), who continuously tweets educational materials, resources, and links as well as engages in conversations! Steven Anderson is representative of how an educator can use Twitter to change the state of education! Click this link to vote,!

• October 5, 2009 - 06:01 | Permalink

I wouldn’t care about Alyssa Milano or Billy Bush. Look on the schedule.

There will be Loic Le Meur and Robert Scoble at 11:25AM! That is a big chance you should not miss.

Btw, good read on TechCrunch about celebs turn into geeks and vice versa :)

• October 5, 2009 - 17:05 | Permalink

I will definitely check them out! You’re right Robert Scoble is amazing!

• October 5, 2009 - 07:01 | Permalink

I’m so jealous Shelly. I wish I had the time to join you. I’m sure it’ll be great to share ideas and thoughts about how 140 characters can benefit education.

I also find a particularly strange coincidence that a day after Alyssa milano RTs one of my tweets I find out she’ll be talking at the convention. Be sure to thank her for me. :)

Enjoy yourself and help get the word out!

• October 5, 2009 - 17:06 | Permalink

Thank you! Now, I’m curious what tweet did Alyssa Milano retweet? That’s so exciting! Maybe I can take a picture of the tweet and have her sign it for you!

• özge
    October 5, 2009 - 07:29 | Permalink

You all deserve to win!! ı’ve already voted and will spread the word!! Good luck with it =)

• October 5, 2009 - 17:07 | Permalink

Thank you so much! I saw Steve’s in the lead again which is such great news!

• Dena
    October 5, 2009 - 16:13 | Permalink

My vote is in! I think you are doing a great thing for education. I am working hard to educate teachers in my district about the positives of Twitter. I feel your frustrations too. Last week I was teaching a graduate course and one of the students (teachers) in the class thought that Twitter was for narcissistic people. Ugh!

• October 5, 2009 - 17:08 | Permalink

I have also heard ridiculous things about Twitter. People really think it is all about updating. I wish they would learn more about how it can be an amazing tool for building a Personal Learning Network and for professional development. I think more teachers need Twitter. It’s wonderful you are introducing your students to this tool!

• Pingback: The State of Now in Education #140conf | Teacher Reboot Camp