What Did They Tweet

What Did They Tweet?

TweetIt from HubSpot

Every week on Twitter I mark a series of tweets as favorites. These are tweets that have either interesting links, encourage thought-provoking conversations, spark some sentiment within me, or need to be read more thoroughly. My Personal Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter is full of educators who consistently engage me in conversation. These individuals ignite within me a need to continually strive to be a better educator and reflect upon my instructional practices. Due to various time zones or highly active Twitter streams we may miss the chance to participate in conversations or miss important links. Therefore, I will post five of my favorite tweets each week. Hopefully, you will be introduced to some new people you were not following before who would benefit your PLN. These are in order of occurrence with the first tweet being the earliest tweet in the week.

Goodbye Geocities

I really enjoyed this tweet by the Kenny Christian, EnglishProfi, because I was able to reminisce with othersĀ  about our first website beginnings. David Truss and I had a similar conversation later in the week. I think many will be slightly saddened by this event. Geocities was the first hosting site I used to create a website when I first began college. Back then animated gifs were the hot items and I had plenty on my website. Needless to say I have come a long way from that time. Click here for to find out what to do with your Geocities account.

Geocities Closes Tweets

Language Learning in Second Life

SecondLife is the latest technology I have been learning for educational purposes. Nik Peachey’s tweet provides a link highlights the amazing possibilities SecondLife provides for learning languages. The program offers the student a language learning experience akin to traveling abroad. The student gets a roommate from China, creates an Ecological part in China, and is immersed in Chinese culture all from the comfort of a computer screen. Click here to try this learning experience for free in the month of August!

Nik Peachy's Tweet

Parent Edtech Workshops

Thomas Whitby is well known for his thought-provoking tweets. I liked this idea so much I went to my school administrators and asked them if I could hold an educational technology workshop for my young English language learner’s parents. Click here for the link!

Tom Whitby's Tweet

Collaborative Mindmapping Tool

I discovered this really cool mindmapping tool through Aniya, TheEngTeacher! Aniya is well known for feeding teachers on Twitter. The link she provides is to Richard Byrne’s blog post about Slate Box, a collaborative mindmapping tool. This tool has several uses for class projects, distance learning, e-learning, and so forth. Can’t wait to use this tool for my online classes. Click here for the link!

TheEngTeacher's Tweet

One Comment A Day Project

The last of this series of tweets comes from Steven Anderson, web20classroom. Steven provides information about the One Comment a Day project in which each person commits to posting at least one comment to encourage a new blogger. Then the person tweets the link to the blog post with the hashtag #OCP. I added my name to the list and encourage you to do the same. For more information on this project visit Steven Anderson’s post by clicking here!

Steven Anderson's Tweet

If you enjoyed this post, you may also want to check out these posts with more favorite tweets:

Your challenge:

Explore these links and follow these Twitterers. Don’t know what to say to them? Just tell them you thought their links were extremely helpful and you heard about them from ShellTerrell!

Would you like to recommend a favorite tweet for next week? Please contact me to share this tweet and I will give you credit for the recommendation! Please mark the tweet as a favorite so that I can find the tweet!

• July 20, 2009 - 01:00 | Permalink

Shelly,

I’m impressed that you’re going to do this every week — once a month is my max!

Thanks for recommending my post…

Larry

• July 20, 2009 - 08:53 | Permalink

Hi Shelly,

This is a great way to highlight real people and how useful Twitter can be to us all. Respect!

Kenny

• BCHK_teacher
    July 20, 2009 - 09:05 | Permalink

Thanks for doing this, it’s very useful to have a round up of the week’s good tweets :D

• July 20, 2009 - 09:12 | Permalink

Great work! Thanks for putting this together!

• July 20, 2009 - 09:16 | Permalink

What a great idea. Now I won’t have to worry about missing the week’s Twitter highlights!

Love the new blog look, by the way :-)

• July 20, 2009 - 09:40 | Permalink

Great idea! Will come back for more! I must remember to *favorite the tweets I’m always hunting for.

• July 20, 2009 - 13:16 | Permalink

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! This is the first post I have done, since my new blog got a makeover. Thank you for welcoming the new blog with such nice comments!

• July 21, 2009 - 11:46 | Permalink

I remember after creating my geocities account, I thought for some reason that it was geocites and couldn’t find it again:-)

This is a great way to demonstrate the power of Twitter as a learning network and free, any time, anywhere professional development.

Well done Shelly!

• July 21, 2009 - 20:20 | Permalink

David,
      I still remember another site with them and I lost the password so I could never retrieve the images or posts! This was a much better poetry site than the first. Oh well!

• July 21, 2009 - 18:22 | Permalink

What a great idea. With so many great Twitterers out there, it’s becoming all too easy to miss important posts. Page is bookmarked for weekly visits.

• July 21, 2009 - 20:22 | Permalink

Chris,

Thanks for the kudos! I also find that sometimes we miss engaging discussions or links since we were on a different time zone! Of course I seem to be a twitterholic so I do catch many of them! LOL!

• July 21, 2009 - 20:05 | Permalink

Congratulations, Shelly, on what you’ve created here!!!!!!
    I’m sure it’ll be a useful tool for our teaching-learning process and our professional development.

Regards from Argentina,
    Marisa

• July 21, 2009 - 20:36 | Permalink

Marisa,
      Glad to have you all the way from Argentina! I am glad you enjoyed the post!

• July 21, 2009 - 20:09 | Permalink

Very good post and one reason I added this blog to my reader. I will look forward to hearing about the best tweets of your week. I sometimes lose track of the actual tweet while leap frogging from one post to the next link provided and so I never get the posts starred the way I want.

• July 21, 2009 - 20:35 | Permalink

poulingail,

Welcome to my PLN! I often have the same problems. Tweetdeck has helped enormously but I think writing this post will help me to reflect on some incredible Tweets!

• July 21, 2009 - 20:43 | Permalink

Thanks so much for sharing these! I definitely also need to start marking favorites. I look forward to checking back for more inspiration! I am really interested in the idea of holding parent edtech workshops as well. We all know their is great wealth in educating parents but the logistics often get in the way. Keep us posted on your progress in that arena.

• July 21, 2009 - 21:11 | Permalink

@Joan Young, I saw that post as well and haven’t wrapped my brain around it yet. I look forward to hearing more about edtech “workshops” for parents. Learning is so much fun!

• Greenie1903
    July 21, 2009 - 23:37 | Permalink

Great information! I plan to visit weekly and share with other teachers at my school.

• July 22, 2009 - 08:28 | Permalink

Greenie1903,

Thank you for sharing with the teachers at your school! I think many educators, who do not yet use Twitter, may not realize Twitter’s potential for problem solving. This is in addition to its usefulness for professional development.

• Pingback: What Did They Tweet? 7/20-7/26 | Teacher Reboot Camp

• Pingback: Parents, Who Needs Them? by Guest Thomas Whitby Pt 2 | Teacher Reboot Camp